Friday, March 30, 2007

Close to Church, Far from God

[Jesus said,] “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.” (Matthew 6:5)

Self-avowed Christians (particularly church members and leaders) need to exercise great care in how we live out our faith. Do we make a show of it or does it show itself in our words and actions? If we are motivated to demonstrate faith in order to gain personal benefits, we won’t enjoy eternal rewards.



Matthew Henry once wrote --

“It is common for those that are farthest from God, to boast themselves most of their being near to the Church.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...deep man.

I have to agree with Matthew Henry and it's really very sad. I luv church I love to sing praise and wordship.

Thru my experience only I have found that the majority of christians who are in church everytime the doors open have the least FAITH. Yet, they're always boasting and bragging 'I'm on this committee, I do this, I do that...but the real love for God to me is expressed in what do you do for your fellow man?

They take being I'm your Brothers Keeper, for I have the right to judge you, condemn you and tell you, you're on you way to hell.

When they know a family, a fellow church member or if God puts someone in their path, which he needs them to house feed help heal a broken heart, anything...well they're to Godly to dirty up their hands.

I've never led anyone into the church doors like this. I extend the invitation, only once. They sit back and watch my life. In a very short time they are always ready to go.