Monday, March 19, 2007

Intellectual Arrogance

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness.” and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” (1 Corinthians 3:19-20)

In college, I was enamored with various philosophies. My friends and I would stay up half the night discussing and debating the merits of this thinker or that. We thought we were so smart.

Now that I’m older, I realize how little I knew (and know). As I prayerfully read Scripture and carefully listen to people, I am consistently humbled. I regret my past (and sometimes present) intellectual arrogance.

The words of John Calvin put me in my place –

"There is no worse screen to block out the Spirit than confidence in our own intelligence.”

Sometimes we can be too smart for our own good (and the good of others).

No comments: