Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Reasonable Faith

[Jesus] said, “I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12)

Many people today claim that faith has little or nothing to do with reason. They believe scientific “facts” have taken the place of “superstitious” faith and that, as a result of this, we better understand the world we live in.

But the notion of faith is contrary to reason is just not true. Faith does not restrict reason. It goes beyond it. With faith, we catch a glimpse what can not be seen otherwise. As C.S. Lewis put it --

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

Faith is not unreasonable. Faith not only builds on reason, but gives us a reason to reason. Otherwise, what reason do we have to think?

2 comments:

Milton Stanley said...

Amen. I agree.

By the way, did you realize that you quote C.S. Lewis but include a photo of his friend, J.R.R. Tolkien?

TR said...

Milton is right. I was just seeing if anyone noticed. Now, I've posted the real C.S. Lewis.