Saturday, March 10, 2007

Knowledge & Love

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

I’ve known a lot of very smart people in my life. I had a friend in high school who got straight A’s even though he never listened in class. He was too busy reading Greek philosophy. I had a physics professor in college who knew 7 languages (including Sanskrit). I had a professor in seminary who not only taught theology, but had a thriving law practice.

As smart as these people were and as much as I admired them, they did not have as much as an impact on my life as people who simply shared the love of Christ with me, no matter how worldly wise they were.

St. Thomas Aquinas, who is himself considered perhaps the greatest Christian philosopher in history, put it well --

“Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so true. I never really thought about it before - but the people who extended grace and love to me are the ones I admire, learn from, and want to be like.

Great blog!