Sunday, March 11, 2007

Leaving God Behind

[The LORD says] “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Isaiah 29:13)

How genuine is your faith? I’ve wondered this about myself many times. When I began to worship God on a regular basis, I often questioned my motives. There were times that my worship seemed to have little impact on my life. I would speak the words, sing the songs, says the prayers – all the while feeling empty inside.

When we experience this emptiness in worship, it is natural for us to question God’s presence in our lives. The Psalmists do this quite often, wondering where and why God was hiding from them. But there is another way to look at these. Maybe we are hiding from God.

The Christian mystic, Meister Eckart wrote this --

“God is at home; it is we who have gone for a walk.”

Have you gone for a walk and left God behind?

No comments: